Sprinting to the Finish Line

A month from today will be my last day at Sprint. I’m looking forward to my “retirement” from corporate life and the opportunity to pursue some things I’ve been passionate about, but had lacked the time to pursue. I’m excited to see where God will take me next. I’m also looking forward to having more freedom to write for this blog, so stay tuned.

In the meantime, I wanted to let y’all know that my departure from Sprint will mean two changes that you might want to pay attention to. Through this blog (and through e-mails to my Sprint address shared here – russ.s.mcguire@sprint.com), I’ve been able to get many people the help they need to resolve issues with their Sprint service. Unfortunately, that will come to an end when I’m no longer an “insider.” Also, through this blog, literally thousands of people (probably tens of thousands) have been able to take advantage of the Everything Plus (and before that SERO) discounts. I’ve literally had people stop me at conferences to thank me for making their service affordable. These days, with Sprint’s aggressive retail offers, the Everything Plus discount is much less compelling than it has been, but if you’re still interested, don’t wait too long to use my credentials at http://sprint.com/everythingplus (russ.s.mcguire@sprint.com 383).

Stay tuned. I’ll be back in October.

7 Responses to “Sprinting to the Finish Line”

1. Chiclet says:

I wanted to stop by and comment…I have been to this website several times through out the years…I found your website a while back when I was searching for employee discounted Sprint discounts on Google… :-) I’ve actually read through a lot of your entries and found them to be helpful, candid, and authentic. I really admire the fact that you are able to communicate, educate, and share your ideas, news, and information effectively….

Thank you for sharing the Everything Plus discount to the world. I, personally did not use your email to get into the Everything Plus Store discount page but only because I am a brand new Sprint hire…! :-) Congratulations to your retirement from the corporate career world! I am encouraged about Sprint any my future career path here.

I think that you helped a lot of Sprint customers save a lot of money throughout the years…! The BEST part is, I can only speculate how many new account activations were setup using your email and corp ID….you are a genius! :-)

Best regards,
    A very Excited and Encouraged New Sprint Employee

2. Tom Losh says:

It has been a good run, Russ. Congratulations on making it to the finish line.

I’m a ex “Big Bell” engineer (left the fold in 1995), and now long retired, but I have enjoyed following your blog.

I did not always agree with you, but when I did not, I still learned from you – even if it was nothing more than the “other side’s” position. 😉

Take care, and good luck! I hope you are leaving your corner of Sprint in good hands.

3. Russ says:

Thanks Chiclet and Tom!

4. Margaret Foley says:

Hello Russ,
    Congratulations on your new adventure! I wish I had dead this a couple of months ago. You helped me long ago with the Sero Plan making my access allowable. Thank you so much. DO NOT READ THE NEXT PARAGRAPH. Think of it as really saying I agree with you. You are a fantastic listener. Good luck on your new venture.
    All the best.
    Margaret Foley
    Unfortunately, I got very bad customer service and no respect from a Sprint representative in Aliso Viejo CA. Can you imagine a Sprint service representative telling me he would not give me a receipt because I was cancelling the sprint phone service? This is what happened to me. I had automaticic bill pay and I stopped that this day. All that the Sprint representative wanted was the anser to the ? of where I was going. I told him I did not want to be tracked. He then told me that I could not take my phone number unless I gave him that info. Needless to say I DID NOT.Sprint is still charging me for the line.
    Sorry, I should not have complained and droned on and on.

5. Deb says:

If you have more info on getting the discount could you please share? I tried the 383 and it said I needed more numbers (can’t remember maybe 9-13?)
    I suspect that Sprint has lost one of their very best employees…Best Wishes on your next chapter.
    When I first started with Sprint in 2007 customer service was kind and helpful.I had signed up with 2 lines.
    In June of 2014 Sprint cancelled my service(WITH OUT NOTICE!) on phone #1 because my plan included unlimited data and until recently I could not get WiFi at my rural location and I had too much roaming data.They “said” they sent a notice to me yet I never received a thing.I know they have my address because they send me bills! When Sprint cancelled that phone it also cancelled the insurance Id been carrying on the Samsung Note 2.Three weeks prior I dropped my phone shattering the screen when I bent to pick up the phone an elderly woman who had dropped hers.I had been in the repair center and wasn’t sure if I should spend $150.to repair as I live on a limited income, pricey!…I had 2 months before my upgrade was due…Kindly Sprint offered to wave the 2 months and since I did not have WiFi I needed to go to the store.Being disabled I was not able to rush to the store nor did I realize I needed to.Then CANCELLATION occured.. I’m stuck with a Sprint Note 2 w a shattered face.
    They only cancelled phone #1 and to date we still have phone service for phone #2.The cost has doubled since 07 and when data reaches a certain point they shut it off until the new cycle. I now have $60.mo plan w Verizon unlimited talk txt &2GB data. Yesterday I called Sprint about phone #2 which is 75+ add on’s per month and asked if they had anything less expensive they could/would offer to keep me as a customer vs one of the $45/mo prepaid plans.The customer service rep was very rude, said I was ‘only’ paying $75 +ins.+taxes and fees and said all she could off was a talk/txt plan for that amount. I’M confused…I keep seeing such great prices advertised and boasts of the best in customer service!?
    If they have lower more affordable rates why aren’t they made available? I was actually a Sprint customer and accepted less than good service at my home because I signed up under the SERO plan.It was affordable at that time.
    I HAVE Mr.RUSS McGUIRE to thank for that luxury…and I DO APPRICIATE IT VERY MUCH!! Keep us posted as to where you go! Before I read your blog tonight, I knew little about you…remember I had no Internet :/ I am quite impressed.This world need more people like you!! :)
    I have a feeling Sprint is going to go down quickly.People go where they are appreciated. . Likewise they appriciate.
    GOD BLESS YOU!

6. Russ says:

Thanks Deb. If you don’t have Sprint coverage where you live, you are probably better off with a different carrier. If you already have one line with Verizon, it may be less expensive to add a 2nd phone to Verizon than to go with any other carrier. All of the carriers have made pricing so confusing that it’s hard to figure out what anything costs anymore.

7. Jim says:

Hi Russ,

Congratulations on your new adventures! Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to help me resolve an issue I had with Sprint a while back. (It was settled amicably.)

Sincerely,