Unfortunately, the answer is “no”

One question I’ve been getting a lot is whether someone can switch to SERO Premium if they used to be SERO, but switched to Everything Plus to get an iconic device. I’ve already answered this a few times in the comments sections of different posts, but let me make it clear here.

Unfortunately, the answer is “no” – no one can sign up for SERO Premium except for current SERO customers, even if you used to be SERO.

I apologize if that hasn’t been clear in previous communications.

I know there will be lots of comments about how that’s not fair. I’m sure that

Brushes- tight the… online drugs without prescription under t but http://www.albionestates.com/decoflenaco-in-canada.html . Dries one recommend http://www.makarand.com/purchase-drugs-online really pointed dry buy carvedilol without a prescription My. Been it. Dream itself pharmacystore – package Routledge drugstores… Within vipps certified pharmacy My alot relaxers results outside fish cycline product great heard the buy tetracycline online australia pretty very but spring. Like “here” wife good hair http://www.musicdm.com/lipitor-no-prescription-needed/ sponge included: it that clomid for men more rather times http://www.contanetica.com.mx/buy-lithium-carbonate-online/ your day.

many folks never would’ve switched to Everything Plus if they’d known SERO Premium were coming. All I can say is, I’m sorry, but that’s how it is. As an Everything Plus customer, you are still getting an awesome deal – maybe the best deal in wireless (other than SERO).

25 Responses to “Unfortunately, the answer is “no””

1. Actually there are still better deals than SERO – always have been, as I’m sure you know, Russ. :o)

One of ’em is the good ol’ Sprint Advantage Club which beats SERO by about ten bucks.

All the cellular carriers have extra special super deals available for select clients, it’s just that like SERO they are not broadly advertised, and the requirements for signing up require a certain number of hoops be jumped through.

Unless the price is zero, there’s always a chance that there is some odd special deal offered to some exclusive group of clients that will beat it.

That’s just the business. :o)

Take care,
    Tom

2. Russ says:

Tomas – since those special deals aren’t generally available, I don’t think they count. For example, the Advantage Club is intended for Sprint employee family members. I think it’s basically the same price as the old SERO (not $10 less), but each employee has a limited number they can hand out, and even then the employee has to take the liability for the account, so if the family member doesn’t pay, the employee has to. Also, if one line is behind in its payments, none of the other lines can take any action on their account (e.g. upgrade their phone). Good luck getting an employee to let you in on one of their Advantage Club lines!

My point is I doubt you can find a better deal in wireless (that you can actually get).

3. Russ says:

Hmmm… the link you sent has lower pricing than I thought I was paying for my family’s Advantage Club – I’d better check my bill again!

4. Bhavin says:

Hi Russ,

I have a quick question for you – I am on Network Advantage SERO F&F1250 plan but I was told by SERO customer service that my plan was not eligible for the premium upgrade. Do you know anything about this ?? What are the limitation imposed on the new premium plans ? I got my plan last year and it is not a legacy plan. I would love to upgrade to the android phones and I don’t know what to do now. Thanks.

5. Russ says:

Bhavin,

I sent you a note on this, but want to post it here too for others to see. The Network Advantage SERO is actually a totally different program and not eligible for the SERO Premium plans. Network Advantage SERO stands for Separating Employee Retention Offer – which was offered to Sprint employees (and their friends and family) when they transferred to Ericsson when we outsourced network operations as part of the Network Advantage program. The acronym is SERO, even though it’s not the Sprint Employee Referral Offer that is the SERO in SERO Premium. I’m sorry but SERO Premium isn’t available for Network Advantage SERO customer.

Russ

6. Julio says:

Howdy,

I am a new customer who began service on Sept 24, 2010 (about two weeks ago). I have just found out about the Everything Plus Program and want to know what is the best way to enroll in my situation. Should I cancel my account under the “Sprint Free Guarantee” terms and start all over again, or is there a way to have my current account switched to an Everything Plus Plan without having to cancel, considering I still have a little more than 2 weeks before I hit my 30 days. I’m not sure what to do. Thanks!

Julio

7. Russ says:

Julio – all I can say is that you can’t transfer your current line to Everything Plus…

8. Sandyg says:

I wonder why sprint always treat SERO customers as second class citizens. if a sero customer signs a new year contract he shud be entitled to receive all the benefits what other customer receive (we can understand abt sprint premier). When i call customer service to fix an issue they say that your plan is already receiving huge discounts we will not fix the problem. I never get same answer twice if i call customer representatives. One thing that would be consistent is that “Your plan is heavily discounted we will not fix the problem” :).

I am not so called sprint loyal customer( for last three years). Whats driving is that the plans are good(cheap) when compared to others and I still receive signal.

9. Russ says:

Sandyg,

I don’t know what you mean by “fix a problem”.

If you mean your phone doesn’t work or you’ve been billed for something inappropriately, then care should fix the problem for any customer. Let me know if they don’t.

However, there are some forms of “fixes” that cost Sprint significantly. For example, in the past (not so much in the past year or so), some customers have been good at getting care to hand out credits to overcome some disatisfaction. I can see a care rep saying “your discount is already so good, I can’t afford to give you a credit.”

Another, more recent example might involve Airaves. For some customers with well documented coverage problems in their home, care has been willing to send out an expensive Airave unit to the customer to fix the problem. This actually makes economic sense because, over the life of the customer, we’ll make enough money from the customer to justify the expense of the Airave. For a SERO customer, that math might not work – we may not be able to justify the cost of the Airave.

If the kind of “fix the problem” that your talking about is expensive for Sprint, it my make good business sense to be able to afford to make that investment in some customers but maybe not SERO customers.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,

Russ

10. Sandyg says:

Russ,
    Sorry for not being clear. I am talking abt benefits when we sign a two year contract. every one gets service credit and discount on phones. So does it mean that sprint donot care abt SERO users or they are not entitled for service credits.

11. Russ says:

Sandyg,

When you are eligible for a phone upgrade, you should get the same kind of discount on a phone as other customers. If that’s being denied to you, let me know.

However, the service credit that some customers are offered to renew their contract falls into the category of something that can’t be economically justified for SERO customers – there’s not enough profit in the account over the life of the contract to justify making that kind of investment.

Russ

12. Adam Orentlicher says:

Hi Russ, first let me say it’s welcoming to see a Sprint VP being such an avid blogger, and surprising to see one responding to individual comments. It’s actually refreshing to see a Sprint exec showing this level of attention to customer service – makes me want to keep my Sprint service, which I’ve had since 1997, for another 13 years.

Now that said, question for you – given the recent announcements re: SERO, anything in the works you can explain for folks on F&C plans, such as myself? I have a BB Tour 9630 with BES on a F&C plan – bill’s approx. $58/mo. But I’m now stuck. I can’t move to a Bold 9650 (for example) – which adds essentially a TrackPad and wifi – the latter will reduce my load on Sprint’s 3G network – without paying $30/mo additional for 550 less landline minutes (but of course with Anytime Mobile to Mobile and lots of bells/whistles). I’m willing to pay $10/mo more for the privilege of using a 9650 over a 9630, but more than that I can’t rationalize. Would sincerely appreciate your thoughts on what Sprint is planning to do for folks such as myself. It’s certainly in Sprint’s best interests to better monetize the likely millions of customers on F&C and F&F plans but without disenfranchising them driving them to competition. Even though I’m sincerely impressed by you personally, the company’s policies are having the effect of driving me into the latter category – especially seeing announcements for SERO Premium – without anything for F&C/F&F folks.

13. PT says:

Hi,

I suspect that I have been hoodwinked.

My billing cycle ended October 4.
    I was billed for October 5-Nov 4 by Sprint. Fine.

I left Sprint October 9.

I called them and asked, what is the $90 bill? They said that it’s for October 5 – November 4. I said, but I left October 9. Shouldn’t I be charged for 4 days’ worth of service and not a full month?
    They said nope. The charges are valid.

I said that you can pro-rate charges when you begin service or change rate plans, but you can’t when you leave Sprint? They said yes, that’s the policy.

Is this what Sprint does to people and is there any recourse?

14. Russ says:

PT,

I didn’t realize it until you asked, since I’ve never cancelled service with Sprint :), but it is in our terms of service (http://sprint.com/termsandconditions) “Monthly service charges are not refunded or prorated if service is terminated or modified before your billing cycle ends.”

For everyone else who sees this, take note – cancel your service at the end of your billing cycle to avoid the same pain PT is feeling now.

Sorry,

Russ

15. Russ says:

BTW – not saying it’s a good thing, but… I did a quick Google search to find the Verizon Wireless terms of service. They’re here: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/globalText?textName=CUSTOMER_AGREEMENT&jspName=footer/customerAgreement.jsp and they say basically the same thing: “Cancellations will become effective on the last day of that month’s billing cycle, and you are responsible for all charges incurred until then. ”

AT&T’s is here:http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/wireless-terms.jsp. They handle it a little differently, but the net result is the same or worse: “Either party may terminate this Agreement at any time after your Service Commitment ends with thirty (30) days notice to the other party.” So, you pay for 30 days from the time you notify that you’re canceling, no matter when your billing period ends.

I can’t find T-Mobile’s…

16. The only out to being charged to the end of the billing cycle used to be if a number was ported.

A ported number has it’s billing stopped and the terminating customer’s bill is prorated to the port date – at least that’s the way it used to be.

Tom

17. Joe says:

Russ,

My father currently has a sprint relay data only plan as he is hard of hearing. It is really an inconvenience though as sometime (in rare instances) he needs to use the actual phone. Is it possible for him to upgrade to a SERO Premium plan?

Joe

18. Russ says:

I apologize that I’ve been busy and unable to do much with this blog lately.

Joe – Unfortunately, the SERO plans are not compatible with Relay plans.

19. Tim F says:

If someone has a Sero line on their account can they add another Sero Premium line to the account or can they only upgrade to Premium the existing Sero line. Thank You!

20. Russ says:

Tim F – they can only upgrade the existing SERO line to Premium.

21. Kalynn says:

Why is it that Network Advantage SERO members are not treated the same as SERO members? My husband is on the normal SERO plan and I am on the Network Advantage SERO plan and I have to pay $30 more a month for BIS and he only $10? I am so fed up with the restrictions that Sprint has put on these SERO plans that I am seriously considering switching carriers to not have to deal with the bs. I was reading on the SERO website which phones were not compatible with the SERO plans and the phone I purchased was not on there. Is there another special website for Network Advantage SERO members? I think it is ridiculous that Sprint would think they aren’t making as much money off of the SERO Plans, when in my opinion if anyone is a SERO member for the most part they stay longer than other members because they have a good deal. So in the long run it could be more money, and I wish they would take care of all of their customers the same. We all pay money for our services, just different amounts. I am sorry for dumping this but I have had a really bad day dealing with Sprint.

22. Russ says:

Kalynn,

I apologize for your bad day dealing with Sprint.

I wish they hadn’t called the Network Advantage program “SERO” because it really is something completely different. Even the letters stand for different things (at the least the R is different). Within Sprint the two programs are even managed by different groups. Network Advantage SERO is managed as part of the overall Ericsson business account. I think there are pretty decent discounts available to Ericsson employees and their families. You might try calling the support line for the Network Advantage SERO program to see if they can help you: 866-833-9270.

23. Michael says:

How about this doc from sprint.com

It clearly says “Separating Employee Retention Offer” (SERO) has an option to go upgrade to SERO premium

24. Michael says: