As we work to build mobility into every product, service, and process, our greatest inhibitor is the mindset represented by those who defend the tethering of products and processes to specific places. This mindset is fueled by the investments that have been made that establish power in the companies, departments, and individuals that stand in the way of mobilizing our lives and our businesses. These investments are not always in hard assets, but often are investments of time and experience to establish intellectual and relational assets. We should expect our assault on these “fixed” ways to be defended to the death. Here are recent examples:
- Good overview from GigaOm
- Restrictive terms of service (1)
- Restrictive terms of service (2)
- Politicians banning mobility while walking
- Big Bell reserves the right to take the fun out of mobility
Complete list here.
(For more context, read the Mobile Declaration of Independence.)